It was in 1874, when Methodist College was still very young, that the Hostel was started. This shows that even at this early stage the need was felt for a boarding establishment. In 1883, when Miss. Scott, founder and first Principal, left the school, there were thirty-two boarders. The original accommodation soon became inadequate, and from the early years of the 20th century a project was formed for the construction of a new Hostel Building. In 1920 the women's Auxiliary Society in England made a grant for the proposed Hostel building, and the foundation stone was laid in March 1921. But this was only the beginning, as more money had to be collected locally through appeals made to Old Girls and friends of the school. The architect in charge was Mr. William Claessen. At last, in January 1922, the dream became a reality and the new Hostel was officially opened by Sir Graeme and Lady Thompson. At this ceremony there were ladies officially representing the Methodist Mission, the various communities, the past principals, the staff and students of the school, and of course the students were present. In May of the same year, the boarders went into occupation of their new building, which was spacious, and full of air and light. How proud they were!
The first Matron to be appointed was Miss Keegel, a strict disciplinarian, but remembered with affection by her charges. Through the years that followed, other Hostel Mothers Mrs. Kelaart, Miss. Modder, Mrs. Don, Miss. Baines, continued to inspire the hostelers.
The current warden of the hostel is Ms. Ruklanthi Chandradasa.